The Protea Hospitality Group last night handed out its annual awards at a gala dinner in Cape Town and top awards for GMs of the Year were given to Johan Cronje of Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town and Protea Hotel Wanderers GM Carolyn Jones.
Various awards were handed out at the awards banquet at the culmination of the hotel group’s annual GMs Conference, which was this year held at the African Pride Crystal Towers Hotel & Spa.
Among the recipients were:
- Johan Cronje and Carolyn Jones, GMs of the Year. This award is judged on criteria such as ambassadorial skills, expertise in finance, human resources, sales and marketing, asset management and much more.
- Ankia Geldart, GM of the Protea Hotel Leadway Ikeja (Nigeria), the Protea Hotels Ambassador Award for displaying extraordinary leadership qualities.
- Mauro Guardigli of Protea Hotels Zambia the Protea Hotels Africa Recognition Award, for performing superbly under very trying circumstances with sparse infrastructural support.
- Sebastiaan Victor, GM of the Protea Hotel Stellenbosch, the Protea Hotels Juiced! Award, which is named after CEO Arthur Gillis’ book (written with Mike Lipkin) and recognises the GM who has mastered the delicate art of hospitality and spectacular GUEST service, and leads his or her team with passion.
- David Thompson, of the Protea Hotels Cape Regional Office, the Protea Hotels Golden Circle Award, voted amongst the GMs to reward a member who has excelled and deserves recognition. The Golden Circle Award can only be awarded to a former GM of the Year and shows peer recognition for consistently superb leadership.
- Charl van Wyk GM of Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge, the Protea Hotels Marketing Award, for the best utilisation of the sales and marketing infrastructure at Protea Hotels to acquire and maintain GUESTS.
- Protea Hotel Saldanha Bay (GM Berneace Nel) the Protea Hotels Social Investment Award, which recognises hotels that have excelled in community service and CSI initiatives during the year.
Protea Hotels CEO Arthur Gillis congratulated all the 2012 winners and said their performance had been outstanding.
“We’re emerging from a tough trading period in the hospitality industry as a whole, but throughout our award-winners have shown the sort of drive and leadership that inspire others to work that much harder to succeed as a TEAM and a Protea Hotels family.
“It is only with STAFF and leadership of this calibre that Protea Hotels has managed to consistently out-perform competitors throughout this year. The STAFF of the Protea Hospitality Group is without doubt the company’s most valuable asset.”
Irvine Partners is a savvy and creative PR agency delivering high-impact Public Relations to innovative companies.