The Protea Hospitality Group last week held its General Managers’ Conference, an annual gathering of the more than 120+ GMs serving in the group, where Protea Hotel OR Tambo General Manager Gawie Nel was announced as GM of the Year.
Various awards were handed out at the awards banquet at the culmination of the conference, which was this year held at the African Pride-managed Arabella Hotel & Spa in Kleinmond.
Among the recipients were:
- Gawie Nel, GM of the Year. This award is judged on criteria such as ambassadorial skills, expertise in finance, human resources, sales and marketing, asset management and much more.
- Charl van Wyk, GM of the Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge, the Protea Hotels Ambassador Award for displaying extraordinary leadership qualities.
- Amaureen Greeff, GM of the Protea Hotel Abuja, the Protea Hotels Africa Recognition Award, for performing superbly under very trying circumstances with sparse infrastructural support.
- Heather Poulsen, GM of the Protea Hotel Richards Bay, the Protea Hotels Juiced! Award, which is named after CEO Arthur Gillis’ book (written with Mike Lipkin) and recognises the GM who has mastered the delicate art of hospitality and spectacular GUEST service, and leads his or her team with passion.
- Joe Segers, GM of the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, the Protea Hotels Golden Circle Award, voted amongst the GMs to reward a member who has excelled and deserves recognition. The Golden Circle Award can only be awarded to a former GM of the Year and shows peer recognition for consistently superb leadership.
- Janneman Brits, GM of the Protea Hotel Sea Point, the Protea Hotels Marketing Award, for the best utilisation of the sales and marketing infrastructure at Protea Hotels to acquire and maintain GUESTS.
Gillis congratulated all the 2011 winners and said their performance had been outstanding in what had been a trying year for the hospitality industry.
“It is only with STAFF and leadership of this calibre that Protea Hotels has managed to consistently out-perform competitors throughout this year. The STAFF of the Protea Hospitality Group is without doubt the company’s most valuable asset.”
– The driving principle behind this PR agency is to ensure clients grow their business as a direct result of our efforts to increase brand credibility and profile.