The massive renovation project of the “ Glittering jewel” on Cape Town’s Platinum Mile reaches the halfway mark next month in time for the Mother City’s 24/7 summer party season.
The Protea Hotel President’s renovations started in July last year and after a 2010/2011 summer break, three floors of the hotel will be complete by the end of the next month.
Hotel General Manager Debra Sivertsen said the refurbishment of the rooms and apartments had been extensive. They now include:
- Flat screen TVs;
- Stylish laminate flooring replacing carpets;
- An elegant four- or six-seater glass table with leather chairs in all apartments that previously featured bar counters;
- All rooms and apartments are equipped with semi-self catering kitchens including microwaves and fridges as well as the normal tea/coffee facilities;
- All bathrooms in the rooms and apartments have been brought up to date with glass showers or glass protected showers over baths;
- The replacement of furniture, making the new rooms and apartments a calm study of light wood, white linen and beige, with touches of accent colour to produce a clean, modern and sophisticated look.
Sivertsen said substantial changes has also been made in the restaurant and bar: “We now have two lovely lounge areas and the bar is decorated in rich reds and purples accenting the soothing grey, black and brown tones.”
“The hotel’s conference venues have also seen the decorator’s touch in this phase, with the replacement of the carpets to now feature a modern design which is complimented by soft grey accent wall”
Protea Hospitality Group Marketing and Advertising Manager Nicholas Barenblatt said the hotel’s transformation was stunning.
“The renovation has taken the Protea Hotel President into a new league. It is one of three Atlantic Seaboard Protea Hotels that have undergone multi-million rand refurbishments this year and one of 13 nationally.
“The work on all the properties is taking these hotels to a level that exceeds GUEST expectations and demonstrates the brand freshness that embodies today’s Protea Hotels.”
Refurbishment of the Protea Hotel President will resume in autumn next year and should be completed before summer 2012.